Askeaton Franciscan Friary


Map Reference: R340507 (1340, 1507)

Askeaton Friary was founded by Gerald, 4th Earl of Desmond, about 1400. Much of the present building dates from 1420-40.



It has a long church with a north transept with two-bay access to the church. This has a west aisle of three bays.



The church has a simple five-light traceried east window. In the south wall are three three-light traceried windows. One of them has some cusps in the tracery. In the south wall at the east end there are several sedilias. The first is a three-seater with barley sugar twists in its dividing columns and surrounding moulding. Above it is a raised- letter inscription dated 1646.



The other sedilias are in two groups of three and are fairly plain. Also against the south wall is a fine trapezoidal coffin lid with a floreated cross. There are also two tomb niches with decorated finials but otherwise plain. There are fragments of a third niche between these two. In the opposite wall there is a similar niche. The cloister, to the south of the church, is intact.



Only two of the pillars of the arcade are modern replacements and the vault of the cloister walk is present. There is an incised sundial in the middle of the north range.



A spiral stairway at the SE corner leads to the upper levels but is closed off at present. There is a good carving of St Francis at the NE corner of the cloister.



The friary was plundered and wrecked by Sir John Malbie in 1579. It was revived in 1627 and continued to be used by the friars as late as 1714.





For more examples of Franciscan Friaries click on the following links

Bonamargy, Co Antrim Armagh, Co Armagh Ennis, Co Clare Quin, Co Clare Buttevant, Co Cork Timoleague, Co Cork Claregalway, Co Galway Kilconnell, Co Galway Meelick, Co Galway Rosserrily, Co Galway Ardfert, Co Kerry Lislaughtin, Co Kerry Muckross, Co Kerry Castledermott, Co Kildare Creevelea, Co Leitrim Adare, Co Limerick Dundalk, Co Louth Moyne, Co Mayo Rosserk, Co Mayo Nenagh, Co Tipperary Roscrea, Co Tipperary


Return to County Limerick List
Return to Gazetteer