Map Reference: R489553 (1489, 1553)
This O'Brien stronghold is situated on a large volcanic rock overlooking the Shannon Estuary. It is a multi-sided enclosure with a strong wall probably dating from the 15th century.
Within it are the remains of two towers and other substantial buildings which may date from the early 16th century. At the north end is a four-storey tower and at the east end a three-storey with a gabled roof and a fireplace at the first floor.
However the site is greatly overgrown and much of the architectural detail is obscured. Mahon O'Brien surrendered the castle to the Lord Deputy in 1536. It was regranted to Donoth O'Brien and his successors. It was surrendered in 1691 to the Williamite forces and blown up shortly afterwards.
Here are some fresh views of Carrigogunnell Castle taken by Liam Bennett.
View inside from the top of the first tower
Murder hole in the first tower
The second tower
Spiral stairway in the second tower
The third tower
Return to County Limerick List
Return to Gazetteer