Map Reference: R628587 (1628, 1587)
A castle was built on this site during the reign of Henry III (1216-1272). The present remains appear to be of a much later date, possibly 15th or 16th century. The castle is greatly ruined. Only one wall stands to full height with lower portions of the attached walls.
There are fragments of vaults at the second floor and possibly at the fourth floor. A small hole in the wall leads to the spiral stairway. This rises to the third floor and there are fragments at the fourth floor. At the second floor a short passage leads to a latrine chute. There are remains of a corner bartizan at the third floor.
View of the second floor
View showing the remains of the vaults at the second and fourth floors
The latrine chute
The spiral stairway
Return to County Limerick List
Return to Gazetteer