Map Reference: R591418 (1591, 1418)
Glenogra Castle has a large rectangular bawn with a gateway near the south-east corner. The springing of part of the archway is still visible.
There is also a good drawbar socket. The interior of the bawn is greatly overgrown and the western half was not explored.
There is the ruin of a gabled building in the south-east corner.
About half way along the east wall is a small rectangular projection. This contains a chamber which may be a garderobe.
At the north-east corner there is a large polygonal tower. This is very ruinous but may have been four storeys high.
It has a circular basement room with a vaulted ceiling and deep window recesses.
The north wall of the bawn is very ruinous.
There are some very large blocks of masonry which may be part of a recent collapse.
The castle in its original form had good rubble walls with very fine facing. Much of this facing has now been robbed-out, particularly at the lower courses.
The Fitton family held Glenogra Castle during the 16th and early 17th century but lost it during the Cromwellian Settlement of Limerick.
Return to County Limerick List
Return to Gazetteer