Kilmallock Dominican Priory

Map Reference: R609280 (1609, 1280)

Across the river from the town is the ruin of the Dominican priory which was founded in 1291 by Gilbert, second son of John of Callan, Lord of Offaly. It was completed by his son Maurice, the first White Knight.

The church has a south transept and the cloister garth lies to the north. There is a very fine five-light east window. The transept has a very fine window inserted in the 15th century when the tower was also added.

There are many small carvings throughout the building including heads and flower-buds.

The Dominicans may have remained on here after the Dissolution or they may have returned. Two of them were executed by the Cromwellians in 1648.

For details of other Dominican Friaries click on the links below

Glanworth, Co Cork Newtownards, Co Down Athenry, Co Galway Carlingford, Co Louth Burrishoole, Co Mayo Rathfran, Co Mayo Strade, Co Mayo Cloonshanville, Co Roscommon Roscommon, Co Roscommon Tulsk, Co Roscommon Ballindoon, Co Sligo Sligo, Co Sligo Cashel, Co Tipperary Lorrha, Co Tipperary

Return to County Limerick List
Return to Gazetteer