King's Castle, Kilmallock
Map Reference: R608279 (1608, 1279)
The castle is named after King John but the present structure probably dates from the 15th century. It is a four-storey tower-house which still retains some of its mullioned windows. However, in the more recent past, probably at the end of the 18th century, many of the windows were replaced by large Gothick openings.
The building is vaulted above the ground floor. The front and back walls have been removed so that the castle is pierced by a large Gothick arch. This gives it the appearance of a gatehouse. In 1645 it was used as an arsenal by the Irish under Lord Castlehaven and in 1651 it was used as a hospital by the Parliamentary forces.
Return to County Limerick List
Return to Gazetteer