Monasteranenagh Cistercian Abbey


Map Reference: R552408 (1552, 1408)

This monastery was founded by Turlough O'Brien, King of Limerick, for Cistercians from Mellifont in 1150. The buildings were possibly completed by Domhnall Mor O'Brien (1170-94). The ruins consist of part of the abbey church.



Above the remains of the west doorway are two round-headed windows and there are traces of three lancet windows in the east wall. The aisle arcades are in place but the aisles are missing. There are some round-headed windows above the arcades. The nave is almost completely divided from the chancel and the columns of the chancel arch have carved capitals. The chapter house has three lancet windows in the east wall.



The monastery was dissolved in 1541 and granted to George More. In 1579 it was the scene of a great battle. Sir Nicholas Malby, for the English, routed Sir John of Desmond and turned his cannon on the Abbey where some of the Irish had sought shelter. As a result the cloister and refectory were practically destroyed. The whole of the surviving monastic community was put to the sword.





















For more examples of Cistercian Abbeys click the following links

Corcomroe, Co Clare Grey Abbey, Co Down Inch Abbey, Co Down Abbeyknockmoy, Co Galway Duiske Abbey, Co Kilkenny Jerpoint, Co Kilkenny Abbeylara, Co Longford Abbeyshrule, Co Longford Mellifont, Co Louth Bective, Co Meath Boyle, Co Roscommon Holy Cross, Co Tipperary Hore Abbey, Co Tipperary Kilcooly, Co Tipperary Dunbrody, Co Wexford Tintern, Co Wexford Baltinglass, Co Wicklow



Some of the Carved Stones at Monasteranenagh


Return to County Limerick List
Return to Gazetteer