Carlingford Dominican Priory


Map Reference: J190114 (3190, 3114)

This priory is thought to have been founded by Richard de Burgh in 1305. The remains consist of a nave and chancel church divided by a tower with some fragments of the domestic range to the south.



There is evidence of a large E window but all remains of tracery are removed and there is no evidence of the original number of lights.



The nave was altered in later times when crenellations were added to the W wall and small turrets were placed at the NW and SW corners. There is a machicolation guarding the W doorway.



For details of other Dominican Friaries click on the links below

Glanworth, Co Cork Newtownards, Co Down Athenry, Co Galway Kilmallock, Co Limerick Burrishoole, Co Mayo Rathfran, Co Mayo Strade, Co Mayo Cloonshanville, Co Roscommon Roscommon, Co Roscommon Tulsk, Co Roscommon Ballindoon, Co Sligo Sligo, Co Sligo Cashel, Co Tipperary Lorrha, Co Tipperary



Return to County Louth List
Return to Gazetteer