Map Reference: J032087 (3032, 3087)
This is one of the larger tower-houses in the region. It is a four-storey rectangular building with large rectangular flanking towers at the E and W corners and smaller towers at the N and S corners.
It is vaulted above the first floor level. The flanking towers rise for another storey above the roof walk. The entrance in the SE wall is protected by a murder-hole. A spiral stairway rises to roof level within the S flanking tower. Some corbel stones at the top of the SE wall may be the remains of a machicolation. The castle was built about 1472 by Richard Bellew and may have had a surrounding bawn. There is now no trace of this.
Return to County Louth List
Return to Gazetteer