St Mary's Priory Drogheda
Map Reference: O086752 (3086, 2752)
The abbey and hospital of St Mary d’Urso was founded by Ursus de Suamel about 1206. At first it was under a warden rather than a prior but later it was run by the Fratres Cruciferi. All that remains is the central tower, the chancel and part of the nave. The main part of the building dates from the foundation but the tower was added in the 15th century. It rises to two storeys above the crossing. After the Suppression the priory was granted to the Mayor of Drogheda along with several other friaries and hospitals.
Return to County Louth List
Return to Gazetteer