Dominican Priory of St Mary Magdalene, Moneymore,Drogheda
Map Reference: O089755 (3089, 2755)
The Priory of St Mary Magdalene was founded by Luke Netterville, Archbishop of Armagh, in 1224. It was here that four Irish kings made submission to Richard II in 1394. Some repairs were made by the end of the 14th century but by 1468 it had fallen into disrepair. By the time of the Dissolution in 1540 most of the church had fallen down. The only remnant is the central tower which rises for two levels above the arch. Both these levels are lit by two-light windows at each face. The levels are divided by a ribbed vault. There is a projecting stair turret at the NW corner of the tower.
Return to County Louth List
Return to Gazetteer