Map Reference: O030894 (3030, 2894)
This is the remains of a nave and chancel church with the chancel arch now blocked. The nave measures about 10m by 5.5m. The south wall is buttressed, the west wall is totally destroyed and the north wall partially destroyed. The chancel has an east window and two in the south wall. The original doorway is in the north wall. The east window has remains of moulded sandstone jambs and roughly cut sandstones in its embrasure. There are no mullions but the width suggests that there were at least two lights. The window at the west end of the south wall has a cusped ogee-headed arch. This design, along with the pointed north doorway, indicates a 15th- or 16th-century date.
There are two windows in the south wall of the nave. There is a good mixture of memorials in the graveyard. One stone worthy of note depicts 'The Nativity'. It is an unusual subject for a gravestone but there is at least one other example at Termonfeckin, probably by the same artist. It was erected by Anthony Hand of Launderstown in memory of his daughter Ann Hand who departed this life April 2nd 1805 aged 17 years.
Return to County Louth List
Return to Gazetteer