Map Reference: J043067 (3043, 3067)
This former gaol was built between 1845 and 1853. The Italianate design is by John Neville. It is a square building with projecting end bays. There is a recessed three-bay entrance on the east side with an arcade. Above the entrance is a two stage tower. The building is now the Garda Station. It stands at the eastern edge of the former prison wall and is flanked by two large arched carriage entrances. Within the wall there are two large former cell-blocks. They are each 13 bays long and are two storeys high over a basement. There is also a three-bay two-storey building. The buildings within the prison yard are all used by Dundalk Civil Defence.
Return to County Louth List
Return to Gazetteer