Franciscan Friary, Dundalk

Map Reference: J053075 (3053, 3075)

This is known locally as the 'Seatown Tower'. The friary may have been founded by John de Verdun or possibly by his mother, Rohesia de Verdun, wife of Theobald Butler. It was in existence by 1246. During the Scottish invasion in 1315 Dundalk was burned. The friary was plundered and 22 friars were butchered. In 1540 it was found that all the buildings had been thrown down by Lord Grey, the king's deputy. In 1543 it was granted to James Brandon. By 1616 only the tower remained of the old friary. It is a four-storey building with two-light windows at the top level and single light at the two floors below. There is a good crenellated top. Just above the top window on the west side there is a good mask.

For more examples of Franciscan Friaries click on the following links

Bonamargy, Co Antrim Armagh, Co Armagh Ennis, Co Clare Quin, Co Clare Buttevant, Co Cork Timoleague, Co Cork Claregalway, Co Galway Kilconnell, Co Galway Meelick, Co Galway Rosserrily, Co Galway Ardfert, Co Kerry Lislaughtin, Co Kerry Muckross, Co Kerry Castledermott, Co Kildare Creevelea, Co Leitrim Adare, Co Limerick Askeaton, Co Limerick Moyne, Co Mayo Rosserk, Co Mayo Nenagh, Co Tipperary Roscrea, Co Tipperary

Return to County Louth List
Return to Gazetteer