Map Reference: O015905 (3015, 2905)
This tower-house is possibly four storeys high. It is almost square in plan and has a round projecting tower at each corner. These rise above the level of the main tower. There are modern crenellations built with brick. The castle is attached to a three-bay three-storey house of 1860. All the window openings in the tower are relatively modern and may have been inserted when the 19th century house was built. The building is covered by plaster and pebbledash but where the surface has fallen away it can be seen that the upper levels of the tower-house contain a lot of brick. The lower levels are of limestone and greywacke. Little remains of the original internal structure. This suggests that by the time the new house was built the old castle was considerably ruined.
Return to County Louth List
Return to Gazetteer