Burrishoole Dominican Friary

Map Reference: L967957 (0967, 2957)

The Dominican Friary of Burrishoole was founded in 1469 by Richard de Burgo of Turlough, MacWilliam Iochtair but it was not recognised by a papal bull until 1489. It was dedicated to St Mary. The papal bull absolved the friars from excommunication which they had unwittingly incurred through establishing the friary without papal approval. The founder joined the order and died within the friary in 1473.

The church consists of a nave, chancel and south transept which have well-preserved windows.

The low squat tower is more Cistercian than Dominican in character. The eastern wall of the cloister, with its rounded windows, is preserved up to first floor level.

All the other domestic buildings have vanished. After the Dissolution the friary was granted to Nicholas Weston and assigned to Theobald Viscount Costillogalen. John King of Dublin acquired it in 1606.

For details of other Dominican Friaries click on the links below

Glanworth, Co Cork Newtownards, Co Down Athenry, Co Galway Kilmallock, Co Limerick Carlingford, Co Louth Rathfran, Co Mayo Strade, Co Mayo Cloonshanville, Co Roscommon Roscommon, Co Roscommon Tulsk, Co Roscommon Ballindoon, Co Sligo Sligo, Co Sligo Cashel, Co Tipperary Lorrha, Co Tipperary

Return to County Mayo List
Return to Gazetteer