Cong Market Cross
The Market Cross, sometimes known as “O’Duffy’s Cross” stands in the middle of the main street of Cong. Very little of the original cross remains. It had a square base with an inscription in Medieval Irish. This inscription is now very weathered and almost illegible. The inscription is now carved on the restored shaft. It reads
OR DO NIAHOL AG DO GILLIBARD O DUBHTHAIGH RAIBH ABAIDDE AGT CUNGA
(Pray for Niahol and for Gillibard O’Duffy who were abbots of Cong)
This cross may have been erected to commemorate the dedication of Cong Abbey in the 12th century but the style of the inscription suggests 14th century work. The date 1350 has been carved on the back of the cross by the restorer. The restored shaft has been capped by part of the original cross and tne monument stands on a circular stepped plinth.
Return to County Mayo List
Return to Gazetteer