'The Castle of Cross' Church, Cross East
Map Reference: M207552 (1207, 2552)
About 2km east of Cross village is a small ruined church. It is known as the Castle of Cross. There are two plain east windows.
At the west end is a tower, possibly residential. It is vaulted above the ground floor and there is a hole for the ladder leading to the first floor. It is lit by small defensive slits. These architectural features may account for the name given to the church.
Sketch of Cross East Church by Ann Johnston 1986
Return to County Mayo List
Return to Gazetteer