Errew Augustinian Abbey



Map Reference: G173123 (1173, 3123)



St Tigernan established an early church here but little is known of its history. However it seems to have survived, and even flourished, since most of the existing buildings seem to be dated to the 12th or 13th century. In 1413 the Barretts founded an abbey for the Augustinian Canons. They seem to have made use of the buildings from the earlier foundation.



There is a long rectangular church which has retained some trefoil-headed windows and a piscina.





The east side of the cloister with its attached ground floor buildings is well-preserved.



There is evidence that there was a cloister walk on the north and south but there are no traces on the west. There are very few traces of the domestic buildings except on the east side of the cloister. This cloister walk does not have the typical open arcade which is normally found with 15th century buildings. The wall next to the garden is solid and is pierced by four narrow windows.



Errew is unlikely to have had full abbey status. It was probably a priory under the direction of the main abbey at Crossmolina.



For details of other Augustinian Friaries click on the links below

Clare Abbey, Co Clare Killone, Co Clare Ballybeg, Buttevant, Co Cork Bridgetown, Co Cork Dungiven, Co Derry Clontuskert, Co Galway Dunmore, Co Galway Ballinskelligs, Co Kerry Callan, Co Kilkenny Kells, Co Kilkenny Adare, Co Limerick Rathkeale, Co Limerick Abbeyderg, Co Longford St Mary‘s, Drogheda, Co Louth Ballintubber, Co Mayo Cong, Co Mayo Ballyboggan, Co Meath Athassel, Co Tipperary St Mary‘s, Cahir, Co Tipperary Fethard, Co Tipperary



Return to County Mayo List
Return to Gazetteer