Slieve More Deserted Village
Map Reference: In the vicinity of F64 07 (064, 307)
In 1838 the 1st edition of the Ordnance Survey maps recorded 137 houses at Slievemore. About 80 ruins survive. The village does not seem to have had a local name but is named after the townland and mountain. It was divided into three sections called Tur, Tur Riabhach and Faiche. These divisions were based on grazing rights. The village was abandoned at various times in the 19th century, particularly in 1852 when Slievemore became part of the Achill Mission Estate. The nearby village of Doogort which had been established earlier in the century was further developed by the Mission under the direction of Rev Edward Nangle.
There are three types of houses at Slievemore. Most of them are one-room cabins, with the occasional two-room house. Others are one-room with a stable attached. The one-room houses are also called byre houses, where animals and humans shared accommodation. A drainage channel divided the byre from the humans. This arrangement may be found in many parts of Ireland. Both sides benefit from the system. The animals get shelter, particularly during the winter, and their body heat warms the house for everyone.
All the houses are aligned N-S and are laid out on both sides of a long street over about 2km.
Return to County Mayo List
Return to Gazetteer