Strade Dominican Friary


Map Reference: M260977 (1260, 2977)







Jordan of Exeter, Lord of Athelthane, or his son, founded a friary for the Franciscans at Strade in the 13th century. In 1252 it was tranferred to the Dominicans at the request of Stephen Jordanís wife Basilia, the daughter of Meilrer de Bermingham. The friary was burned in 1254 and an indulgence was granted in 1434 for its restoration. After the Dissolution it was leased to James Garvey in 1578, to Partick Barnwell in 1588, and some of the land was granted to Edmond Barrett in 1595. The chancel of the church appears to date from the 13th century but much of the rest of the buildings seems to be 15th century work.



The main feature is a 15th century sculptured tomb in the north wall of the chancel. The weepers include the Magi, Christ showing His five wounds, a man kneeling taking off his hat and possibly St Peter and St Paul. There is a very fine traceried hood. Under the east window is a fragment of another 15th century tomb showing a Pieta surrounded by two kneeling figures. In the sacristy there are some good medieval tombstones.











For details of other Dominican Friaries click on the links below

Glanworth, Co Cork Newtownards, Co Down Athenry, Co Galway Kilmallock, Co Limerick Carlingford, Co Louth Burrishoole, Co Mayo Rathfran, Co Mayo Cloonshanville, Co Roscommon Roscommon, Co Roscommon Tulsk, Co Roscommon Ballindoon, Co Sligo Sligo, Co Sligo Cashel, Co Tipperary Lorrha, Co Tipperary



Return to County Mayo List
Return to Gazetteer