Westport Market House
Map Reference: L996844 (0996, 2844)
This market house stands in Cahernamart townland. It was built in 1767 and designed possibly by William Leeson, or by Peter Browne-Kelly, second Earl of Altamont. It is a four-bay two storey building with a single-bay central return at the north-west. There are four arched openings at the ground floor with square-headed window openings at the first floor. The pediment has a central clock, which is flanked by two small windows. It is topped by an octagonal louvered timber cupola. Similar roof features may be found on Ballinrobe Market House which was built in 1752.
The building stands at one side of a designated market area known as the Octagon. The Town Hall is diagonally opposite.
Return to County Mayo List
Return to Gazetteer