Athboy Railway Station
Map Ref: N719641 (2749,2641)
Athboy Railway Station opened on 26 February 1864, but was closed to passenger traffic on 27 January 1947 and finally closed on 1 September 1954.
Athboy Railway Station was the terminus of a branch of the Midland Great Western Railway from Kilmessan through Trim. The MGWR ran from Dublin Northwall to Kingscourt. The section from Navan Junction to Clonsilla was closed in 1963.
According to the Railway Clearing House Handbook of Railway Stations 1904 Athboy Railway Station could handle goods, passengers & parcels, furniture vans, carriages, portable engines & machines on wheels, livestock, horseboxes & prize cattle vans, and carriages by passenger train. It had no crane. There were four trains daily but none on Sunday.
The photos on this page were taken about 2003. Since then all the buildings have been renovated and repurposed. An extensive housing estate has been built over the marshalling yard to the south of the station.
Return to County Meath List
Return to Gazetteer