Ballyboggan Augustinian Priory



Map Reference: N636403 (2636, 2403)



In Ballyboggan there is the ruin of a large rectangular church. This is all that remains of the Augustinian Priory De Laude Dei. It was founded by an English nobleman in the 12th century and dedicated to the Holy trinity. It was granted to Sir William Bermingham in 1541. A section at the east end of the church appears to have been walled off at a later date, but this may be simply a field boundary. The walls of this section are much more complete.



About the middle of the church, in the north wall, is a small projection, which may have housed a stairway.



There are traces of a south transept. At the east end of the north wall are traces of some lancet windows and some tomb niches.





There are remains of a large east window. There are doorways in the north and south walls. At the west end in the north wall is a pointed doorway part of which has been rebuilt. The west gable is almost totally gone but there are traces of a very large window. There are remains of windows in the north and south walls. The building sits inside a large low enclosure.

For more photos of Ballyboggan Priory by Simon Regan click HERE

For details of other Augustinian Friaries click on the links below

Clare Abbey, Co Clare Killone, Co Clare Ballybeg, Buttevant, Co Cork Bridgetown, Co Cork Dungiven, Co Derry Clontuskert, Co Galway Dunmore, Co Galway Ballinskelligs, Co Kerry Callan, Co Kilkenny Kells, Co Kilkenny Adare, Co Limerick Rathkeale, Co Limerick Abbeyderg, Co Longford St Mary‘s, Drogheda, Co Louth Ballintubber, Co Mayo Cong, Co Mayo Errew, Co Mayo Athassel, Co Tipperary St Mary‘s, Cahir, Co Tipperary Fethard, Co Tipperary



Return to County Meath List
Return to Gazetteer