Map Reference: O001648 (3001, 2648)
This late-16th century wayside cross has a Latin inscription asking a prayer for the soul of John Broin. Beneath it is another inscription in English indicating that the cross was 'beautified' in 1727 by Sir Andrew Aylmer and his wife Lady Catherine.
On the east face there is a Pieta while on the west face there is a Crucifixion. There are several other smaller carvings including two heads.
The cross stands near Balrath Crossroads about 2.5km WSW of Gaulstown Cross.
Recent (2013) Photos of Balrath Cross
Return to County Meath List
Return to Gazetteer