Duleek Church & High Crosses


Map Reference: O046684 (3046, 2684)

St Cianan, a disciple of St Patrick, was in charge of the first church at Duleek in the 5th century. The monastery was plundered at least 10 times between the 9th and 12th centuries. The bodies of Brian Boru and other slain heroes of the Battle of Clontarf rested here in 1014 before being brought to Armagh for burial.



The oldest structure is the short High Cross which probably dates from the 9th century. It has a Crucifixion and other carvings include scenes from the life of the Virgin Mary and symbols of two of the Evangelists. The ruined church is part of the Augustinian priory founded in the late 12th century. The buildings date mainly from the 13th and 14th centuries and the tower is probably 15th century.



A Round Tower from the earlier monastery stood close to the north wall of the church tower and left a scar in the stonework when it was removed. Within the church is a box-tomb to the Prestons and Plunketts. The weepers include St Catherine and St Peter and there is also a Crucifixion and the Instruments of the Passion.



There is also a very fine double-sided effigy slab and the head and base of another High Cross.



For more photos of Duleek Church and High Crosses click HERE

For details of other Figured High Crosses click on the links below

Dysert O’Dea, Co Clare Kilfenora, Co Clare Killaloe, Co Clare Camus, Co Derry Carndonagh, Co Donegal Donaghmore, Co Down Boho, Co Fermanagh Galloon, Co Fermanagh Tuam, Co Galway Castledermott, Co Kildare Moone, Co Kildare Kilkeeran, Co Kilkenny Killamery, Co Kilkenny Kilree, Co Kilkenny Monasterboice, Co Louth Termonfeckin, Co Louth Kells, Co Meath Kells Market Cross, Co Meath Killary, Co Meath Clones, Co Monaghan Clonmacnois, Co Offaly Durrow, Co Offaly Drumcliffe, Co Sligo Ahenny, Co Tipperary Arboe, Co Tyrone Donaghmore, Co Tyrone



Return to County Meath List
Return to Gazetteer