Map Reference: O046660 (3046 2660)
This cross was erected by Jennet Dowdall in 1600. It is very similar to the cross at Carrickdexter with a lengthy inscription on the shaft. The collar looks like a truncated regular octahedron. The carving here appears to be very sharp which may indicate that this secton is a modern restoration. Alternatively, if the cross had been dismantled at one time, this portion may have been buried and the sharpness of the carving thus preserved. The top of the cross is a short rectangular column topped by a broken pyramid. It is covered with figure carving, including a Crucifixion. These carvings are greatly weathered.
Return to County Meath List
Return to Gazetteer