Navan Railway Station
Map Reference: N870673 (2870, 2673)
The railway from Drogheda to Navan was first opened in 1850 by the Dublin & Belfast Junction Railway. It was very soon sold to the Dublin and Drogheda Railway who extended it to Kells in 1853 and to Oldcastle in 1863. A short distance from Navan a junction was made with the Midland & Great Western Railway in 1862. Various sections of these railways closed in 1963 leaving only the line from Drogheda to Kingscourt and a short branch to Tara Mines just outside Navan. The section from Navan to Kingscourt has now been closed.
The station at Navan is a detached nine-bay single-storey structure built in 1885.It has a yellow brick facade with blue and red brick string courses. There are screen walls at each end. The station was designed by N A Mills. On the platform side of the building there was a glazed screen which is now boarded up. There are other railway buildings on the site including a large engine shed and a water-tower.
Return to County Meath List
Return to Gazetteer