Hill Of Slane
Map Reference: N962752 (2962, 2752)
The Hill of Slane will always be associated with St Patrick who, in 433, lit the Pascal Fire, which symbolised the triumph of Christianity over Paganism. There is little definite knowledge of the history until 1512 when the Franciscan Third Order established a friary there. The ruins on the hill are in two groups.
To the south is a church within a graveyard. At the W end of the church is a tower standing to full height. Above the arch of the tower is an ornate three-light window. At the top storey are two small windows at each face. Above the S windows on the outside is a carved mask. Within the tower is a narrow stairway. The church has a nave with a S aisle. In the graveyard are the gabled ends of an early tomb, possibly that of St Erc, who founded an early monastery here. Just inside the N wall of the graveyard is a dried-up holy well.
The other building is known as the College. In was founded by Sir Christopher Flemmyng for four priests, four lay-brothers and four choristers. It has the remains of some fine mullioned windows and a number of decorated stones, including some carved masks. There are many fireplaces throughout the building and a large vaulted room within which is a collection of carved fragments.
A spiral stairway at the corner of this room leads to roof level. Both the church and college continued in use until 1540. A short distance further west is a motte.
Some More Photos of the Hill of Slane
Return to County Meath List
Return to Gazetteer