Map Reference: N803567
Trim Castle has a massive square keep. It was built in 1220 by William Peppard. Wings project from three of the walls which are about 3m thick in places.
The interior is bisected by a thin wall and there is at least one fireplace leading to a round chimney. The keep is three storeys high with small turrets at each of the corners. It has undergone extensive renovation and restoration. There are many remains of the outer defences.
These include regularly spaced round towers in a curtain wall. There is a fine rectangular gatehouse (polygonal within), which has the channel for a portcullis and two murder-holes.
On the opposite side of the ward is a smaller round postern gate which also had a portcullis and murder-holes.
For more photos of Trim Castle click HERE
Return to County Meath List
Return to Gazetteer