Carrickmacross Market Yard
Map Reference: H841039 (2841, 3039)
In 1861 the old market house in Carrickmacross, which had stood in the centre of the main street, possibly from the second half of the 17th century, was demolished. It was replaced by Lord Blaney by a U-shaped range of single-storey market buildings at the end of the street near the court-house. This has a nine-bay central section with a large gabled carriage entrance in the middle. The roof has a small octagonal cupola with an ogee-shaped dome. The bays at either end are occupied by ten-bay gable-ended pavilions which project forward towards the street. These have an arcade carried on Tuscan cast-iron columns.
On the other side of the road is a small rectangular building known as 'The Toll House'. It was probably used to collect market fees. Just outside it is a weighbridge platform. The rest of the weighing equipment was probably inside.
Return to County Monaghan List
Return to Gazetteer