Castleblaney Market House
Map Reference: H828198 (2828, 3198)
The market house in Castleblaney was built in 1856 to replace an older building. It is built on a sloping site and the uphill frontage is two storeys high. The downhill frontage has three storeys with the ground floor having nine open arches. It is possible that this arcade may be part of the original market house. It would appear that the newly constructed building housed only the courthouse with the arcaded section used as a store. The small round-headed pediment on the short end wall has a clock and the roof is topped with a bell-turret capped with a copper dome.
Return to County Monaghan List
Return to Gazetteer