Castle Leslie Gate Lodges
Castle Leslie was built mainly about 1870 by John Leslie MP, who later became the 1st Baronet. It incorporates part of an earlier house built about 1800 by Colonel Charles Powell Leslie. Six gate lodges were planned for the estate although only five were built. The earliest building was the Gothick lodge which was built about 1812 and designed by John Nash. This is a two-roomed single-storey building but the gable facade contains an Early English Gothic pointed church window with decorated tracery. Above this is a castellated gable flanked by octagonal turrets.
About 1840 an unknown architect designed the Cottage Orne lodge. This is a single storey building with canted projections flanking the front door. The roof is extended to form a continuous veranda. However it is now derelict and in poor condition.
About 1875 the Scots Baronial lodge was built by John Lanyon. This is situated at the head of Glaslough's main street. It is a symmetrical semidetached pair of estate houses with a double crow-stepped gable flanking a central stone chimney stack. At either end is a single storey projecting hallway also with crow-stepped gables.
A few years later the Jacobean lodge was built by Lanyon. This has some Dutch gables and tall chimney stacks. There are also mullioned and transomed windows.
For details of more gate lodges in County Monaghan see 'The Gate Lodges of Ulster: A Gazetteer by J A K Dean; Ulster Architectural Heritage Society 1994; ISBN 0¬-900457-46-5'
For more details of Castle Leslie see 'A Guide to the Country Houses of Ireland by Mark Bence-Jones; Constable 1988; ISBN 0 09 468750 1'
Return to County Monaghan List
Return to Gazetteer