Map Reference: N294253 (2294, 2253)
This is a large rectangular building with a small eastward projection near the SE corner. Most of the SW corner of the main building has fallen. The entrance is in the E wall of the small wing and was protected by a machicolation. The lower part of the main stairway rose within the entrance projection and the upper levels were probably reached by a straight stair within the S wall.
The main building is four storeys high with a vault above the ground floor rooms. There are many mullioned windows throughout the building. There are tall chimney stacks on the W and N walls and a bartizan at the NE corner. The castle was built in 1626 by the Herbert family.
Return to County Offaly List
Return to Gazetteer