Map Reference: S130975 (2130, 1975)
Leap Castle was built in the early 16th century by the O’Carrolls of Ely as a defensive measure against the Butlers of Ormond. The son of the Earl of Kildare captured it in 1516, two years after un unsuccessful attempt by his father, Gerald. It was burned in 1558 but restored and added to in the early 17th century. Further modifications were added in the late 18th century. The building is not open to the public but may be viewed from the roadside.
The 18th century work included a Gothick gatehouse in similar style to the main house. This is a three-bay single-storey house with a pointed doorway and hood-moulds over the windows. In complete contrast the gateway is castellated and reflets the defensive nature of the original castle.
Return to County Offaly List
Return to Gazetteer