This pump stands beside a derelict farm, once owned by the Wilkinson Family. The Lion symbol of the maker, Joseph Evans & Sons, is clearly visible and, just in case there is any doubt, it is inscribed Evans and Wolverhampton. This firm made pumps of many designs from about 1810 to 1964. The Lion symbol seems to date from later than 1890. The pump is fairly complete, only the handle is missing.
The photos were taken by Conor Finn and are used on this website with his permission.
Return to County Laois List