There are three pumps in Tallanstown. The first was made by Elliott Bros. at Park Street Foundry, Dundalk. It is clearly marked. It has a fluted domed cap with an acorn finial. The handle has a pine-cone or pineapple terminal.
The second pump was also made at the Park Street Foundry but the maker this time is Gaskin Bros. According to an old trade directory the Gaskins were at Park Street in 1931.This pump has the same basic shape as the other but with a much less interesting cap and handle.
The third pump is completely different. It has a plain head with foliate decoration on the spout. The shaft is fluted. A thick coating of paint masks the bucket hook and the cap. It is possible that there are wreathes, with deckled or rope decoration, at the top and bottom of the head. There is no maker's name.
Apart from these three public pumps there are at least two other pumps erected as garden ornaments.
Return to County Louth List