There are two pumps in Cashel. The first is in Bohermore. It has a plain cylindrical shaft with a large head. There are three closely-spaced raised bands near the point of attachment of the handle. The fluted spout has a single raised band. There is a conical lid with a ball finial. An oval panel on the side of the head reads B Graham, Waterford. There is an ogee-curved handle with a ball terminal. In 1897 the Graham Foundry was in Meagher's Quay, Waterford. According to the census returns the foundry owner was Benjamin Graham and he lived in William Street.
Just around the corner, in Ladyswell Street, is the other pump. This has the ‘lion’ mark of Joseph Evans. It has a plain cylindrical shaft with several raised bands. The spout projects from the shaft and it has foliate decoration and a good bucket-hook. The head of the pump is fluted and has it has an ogee fluted lid with spiked finial.
Return to County Tipperary List