Fuerty Church and Gravestones
Map Reference: M823623 (1823, 2623)
The old church at Fuerty is not particularly interesting. It may date from the 18th century or possibly later and has a tall four-storey tower. The porch has almost disappeared leaving the tower detached from the main church building. The main point of interest at Fuerty is the two early gravestones which have been attached to the wall near the base of the tower. They are sandstone slabs with incised crosses. These have expanded terminals with simple knotwork. Each of them has an accompanying 'Or do...' inscription asking a prayer for the person commemorated. However it is not possible to read the names.
Return to County Roscommon List
Return to Gazetteer