Map Reference: M873650 (1873, 2650)
Roscommon Castle is an example of a large keepless castle with D-shaped towers at the corners.
There is a large rectangular gatehouse in the west wall. The remains of the main gatehouse are in the middle of the east wall.
This building was three storeys high plus basement and had two D-shaped towers. The gap between the towers was only about 3m.
There are many mullioned windows and some of the corner towers also have large windows. The castle was built by Robert de Ufford, Lord Justice of Ireland, in 1269.
Return to County Roscommon List
Return to Gazetteer