Roscommon Dominican Friary
Map Reference: M873639 (1873, 2639)
Roscommon Friary was founded for the Dominicans by Felim O Conor, Lord of Roscommon, in 1253. It has a pointed west doorway with fragments of a large traceried window above it.
This is a 15th century insertion, replacing several lancets. The church had a north aisle of four bays but only stumps of the aisle arcade remain. There is a short north transept.
There are lancet windows in the south wall of the nave and beneath them are several plain tomb niches.
The main point of interest of the friary is the effigy tomb in the north wall of the chancel. This shows a lying figure in a long robe with his feet on a dog.
There are two panels showing eight weepers. These are soldiers wearing pointed helmets and long chain-mail coats.
Seven of them carry swords and the other has an axe. The effigy is of Felim O Conor and dates to the end of the 13th century. The rest of the tomb is of 15th century date.
For details of other Dominican Friaries click on the links below
Glanworth, Co Cork
Newtownards, Co Down
Athenry, Co Galway
Kilmallock, Co Limerick
Carlingford, Co Louth
Burrishoole, Co Mayo
Rathfran, Co Mayo
Strade, Co Mayo
Cloonshanville, Co Roscommon
Tulsk, Co Roscommon
Ballindoon, Co Sligo
Sligo, Co Sligo
Cashel, Co Tipperary
Lorrha, Co Tipperary
Return to County Roscommon List
Return to Gazetteer