Tulsk Dominican Priory

Map Reference: M832811 (1832, 2811)

St Patrick’s Dominican Priory at Tulsk may have been founded in 1448 when a quarter of land was granted by Fedlimid mac Fedlimid O’Conor. He died the same year at Kilculy from wounds and was buried in the priory. Other sources give Phelim Mac Dowell as founder.

The remains of the friary are scant. The church appears to have had a south transept and the arches of the arcade leading to this are intact. There is little else of the church apart from a fragment of a possible residential tower at the east. Only one wall of this remains with a fireplace at the upper level. There are some good crucifixion panels. After the Suppression the mayor and bailiffs of Galway illegally occupied part of the friary lands. In 1594 part of the land was granted to Terence O’Byrne and in 1596 it was included in a grant of lands to William Taaffe. There is some evidence that friars remained at Tulsk during the 17th century.

18th century gravestone

Detail of 18th century gravestone

Crucifixion scene from another gravestone

View from the north

The residential tower at the west end

For details of other Dominican Friaries click on the links below

Glanworth, Co Cork Newtownards, Co Down Athenry, Co Galway Kilmallock, Co Limerick Carlingford, Co Louth Burrishoole, Co Mayo Rathfran, Co Mayo Strade, Co Mayo Cloonshanville, Co Roscommon Roscommon, Co Roscommon Ballindoon, Co Sligo Sligo, Co Sligo Cashel, Co Tipperary Lorrha, Co Tipperary

Return to County Roscommon List
Return to Gazetteer