Ballindoon Dominican Friary

Map Reference: G789149 (1789, 3149)

The friary was founded for the Dominicans in 1507 probably by Thomas O’Farrell. It was dedicated to St Mary. Some sources indicate that the founder was a MacDonagh. Prior O’Farrell was murdered by the Irish in 1527. After the Dissolution it passed to Melaghlin Oge MacDonagh and within a few years of his death in 1588 it was granted to Sir Francis Crofton who assigned it to Sir Robert King. It is a rectangular church with a central tower and a small north transept.

At the base of the tower are three barrel vaults one of which connects the eastern and western halves of the church. This arrangement is in place of a rood screen. It is somewhat similar to the rood screen at Clontuskert Friary in Co Galway but much plainer.

There is an arrangement of three arches at the first floor with the central arch being larger than the other two.

This level can only be reached by an external stairway which is now fragmentary. There is a four-light traceried east window and a similar three-light west window.

For details of other Dominican Friaries click on the links below

Glanworth, Co Cork Newtownards, Co Down Athenry, Co Galway Kilmallock, Co Limerick Carlingford, Co Louth Burrishoole, Co Mayo Rathfran, Co Mayo Strade, Co Mayo Cloonshanville, Co Roscommon Roscommon, Co Roscommon Tulsk, Co Roscommon Sligo, Co Sligo Cashel, Co Tipperary Lorrha, Co Tipperary

Return to County Sligo List
Return to Gazetteer