Athassel Augustinian Priory


Map Reference: S010362 (2010, 1362)

This, the largest medieval priory in Ireland, was founded for the Augustinians by William FitzAldem de Burgo at the end of the 12th century. It was dedicated to St Edmund.



There are extensive remains of the surrounding wall which encloses about 4 acres. A ditch outside the wall was crossed by a stone bridge which gave access to the gatehouse. This may have been three storeys high with a high-pitched roof.



The church and other buildings lie about 100m to the east. The original west doorway of the church is now situated at the west end of the choir. It is a fine pointed arch.



Little remains of the nave. Within the choir is a double effigy, the taller figure being apparently female. On the east wall of the choir is a slab with two incised figures, a male and a female, holding a cross between them.



There are also some coffin lids with floreated crosses. There are good lancet windows in the N and S walls and a fine three-light E window. Fragments of the tower rise above the W end of the choir.



Above the second storey there was a vault and there were two storeys above that. High on the outside wall is a crude carved face. Only fragments of the cloister arcade remain but the surrounding buildings are extensive and there are many vaulted chambers.











Some More Photos of Athassel Priory

For details of other Augustinian Friaries click on the links below

Clare Abbey, Co Clare Killone, Co Clare Ballybeg, Buttevant, Co Cork Bridgetown, Co Cork Dungiven, Co Derry Clontuskert, Co Galway Dunmore, Co Galway Ballinskelligs, Co Kerry Callan, Co Kilkenny Kells, Co Kilkenny Adare, Co Limerick Rathkeale, Co Limerick Abbeyderg, Co Longford St Mary‘s, Drogheda, Co Louth Ballintubber, Co Mayo Cong, Co Mayo Errew, Co Mayo Ballyboggan, Co Meath St Mary‘s, Cahir, Co Tipperary Fethard, Co Tipperary



Return to County Tipperary List
Return to Gazetteer