Map Reference: S065598 (2065, 1598)
This little church is listed in the ecclesiastical taxation of the Diocese of Cashel in 1302. It is a good example of a simple fortified church. It was originally a nave-and chancel church but there is now no trace of the chancel. It is entered through a pointed doorway in the south wall.
This is guarded by a double-hole machicolation.
There are also two sets of drawbar sockets.
There is evidence of a blocked doorway at the west end of the north wall. The building attached to the west end of the church is the ground floor of an accommodation tower, probably the priestís residence. It had a separate entrance in the south wall with a flat headed lintel. The graveyard contains several 18th century gravestones. Within the ruins of the residential tower is a memorial to Barnaby Banane February 12 1787. The stone also has several 19th century dates. It stands close to a modern stone to the Bannon family.
Return to County Tipperary List
Return to Gazetteer