Map Reference: S083602 (2083, 1602)
This castle was built by the Purcells in the 16th century. It is one of a number of round castles found throughout Tipperary. It is five storeys high with four machicolations at roof level.
One of these guards the doorway in the E where there is also a murder-hole leading from a small chamber on the first floor.
A spiral stairway rises to the left of the doorway. The ground floor room is lit with small slits set within deep square recesses. This gives the room a cruciform appearance. There is a vault above the first floor and another above the third floor. The rooms at the higher levels are lit by single- and two-light windows. The second floor has a very fine fireplace and there is another at the fourth floor. A hole in the floor near the N wall at this level leads downwards to an apparent secret chamber set within the thickness of the wall.
Interior from above
Entrance to secret room
Window with slopstone
Window with musket loop
Musket loop from outside
Here are some fresh images of the interior of Ballynahow Castle by Liam Bennett.
View of the second floor room
View downwards through one of the machicolations
A fireplace at the second floor with modern buttressing
A latrine chute
The mural stairway to the roof
The murder hole
The interior from the roof walk
Some of the windows
Some More Photos of Ballynahow Castle
Return to County Tipperary List
Return to Gazetteer