Map Reference: S193578 (2193, 1578)
This is a four-storey tower-house which is vaulted above the second floor.
The original entrance was in the west wall but this is now obscured by a later outbuilding. The doorway opened into an entrance hall which was divided into three small lobbies. Directly in front of the entrance there was a cruciform defensive loop and the lobby was protected by a large murder-hole which was covered by a trapdoor.
The upper levels were reached by mural stairways within the west and north. However they are not now usually accessible. A modern opening in the north wall now gives access to the large ground floor room which is used for storage. The castle is part of a modern farm complex. There are round bartizans at the NE and SW corners.
Return to County Tipperary List
Return to Gazetteer