Map Reference: S048247 (2048, 1247)
This magnificent castle stands on a rock at the edge of the River Suir.
At the beginning of the 12th century the O'Brian Lords of Thomond built a castle on this spot but the present castle dates mainly from the 15th century. It was built by the Butlers of Ormond and was considerably restored in the 19th century.
The curtain wall follows the contour of the rock and is strengthened by three strong rectangular towers and four smaller circular ones. It is divided into two wards.
The gateway to the inner ward is defended by murder-holes, a machicolation and a portcullis. There is a strong three-storey keep with a large fireplace at the first floor.
For some more photos of Cahir Castle click HERE
Return to County Tipperary List
Return to Gazetteer