Cahir Market House
Map Reference: S052248 (2052, 1248)
The Market House in Cahir stands at the north side of the market square. It is a two storey building topped by a clock. The upper storey is five bays long, with the two outer bays appearing as semicircular alcoves. The lower storey now has large square modern shop fronts. A photo from the early 20th century shows that the building had three large openings with semicircular heads at the lower story. These corresponded with the windows at the upper level, leaving the two outer bays blank. It was built about 1770 and was later used as a courthouse. In 1984 it was refurbished and the ground floor was converted for use as a library.
Return to County Tipperary List
Return to Gazetteer