St Mary's Augustinian Priory, Cahir



Map Reference: S049253 (2049, 1253)



This was founded by Galfrid de Camvill at the end of the 12th century. It was surrendered by the Prior Edmund Lonergan in April 1540. The jurors in 1541 found that the occupier, Sir Thomas Butler, had about 100 acres with two granges and a water-mill, as well as an interest in five rectories. When he was created Baron of Cahir in 1542 he was granted this monastery along with Inishlounaght. The remains consist chiefly of the long narrow church with its central tower. The tower may have been added in the 15th century and was later modified to provide a dwelling.



To the south the site of the cloister garth is evident and there are remains of many of the claustral buildings. Many of these show considerable additions and modifications which are datable to the 15th century.



For details of other Augustinian Friaries click on the links below

Clare Abbey, Co Clare Killone, Co Clare Ballybeg, Buttevant, Co Cork Bridgetown, Co Cork Dungiven, Co Derry Clontuskert, Co Galway Dunmore, Co Galway Ballinskelligs, Co Kerry Callan, Co Kilkenny Kells, Co Kilkenny Adare, Co Limerick Rathkeale, Co Limerick Abbeyderg, Co Longford St Mary‘s, Drogheda, Co Louth Ballintubber, Co Mayo Cong, Co Mayo Errew, Co Mayo Ballyboggan, Co Meath Athassel, Co Tipperary Fethard, Co Tipperary



Return to County Tipprary List
Return to Gazetteer